Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Sunscreen Update by LABRIX

Sunscreen Update
Now that summer is in full swing, even the Pacific Northwest is sunny and bright which causes many people to turn to sunscreens so they can enjoy their favorite summer activities, while preventing overexposure to the sun. Skin cancer is the most common form of cancer in the United States with more than 3.5 million cases annually, so it should be a big concern for all; however in an attempt to minimize cancer risk many are causing additional damage to their bodies through the use of chemical laden products that can have allergic, carcinogenic and endocrine disrupting side effects.


Among the many ingredients that are often used in topical sunscreen, some of the most important to be aware of include:

Retinyl palmitate - A derivative of vitamin A which can serve as a potent anti-oxidant, this compound has been shown to break down when exposed to UV light and produce free radicals that can cause damage to DNA in mouse and rat studies. There is some controversy regarding whether or not these changes may occur in humans or if the free radicals produced are simply quenched by the antioxidant milieu in human skin. Topical retinoids are frequently prescribed for a variety of skin conditions with no published data to suggest that they increase skin cancer risk; however it is currently restricted from being used in cosmetics in Canada and Japan.

Oxybenzone - This compound is an aromatic ketone and one of a greater category of organic compounds called benzophenones that are included in sunscreens as broad-spectrum UV blockers. Oxybenzone is present in close to half of all sunsreens and problems include a high photoallergic potential (meaning that an allergen is produced with UV exposure causing contact dermatitis), but our primary interest in this chemical is the estrogenic effect it has on the endocrine system.

Nanoparticles - Mineral based UV filters such as titamium dioxide and zinc oxide have long been used in sunscreen products and have a low photoallergic reaction rate as well as relative stability in the sun. Issues with these products have largely been cosmetic, as they tend to produce an opaque or white appearance on skin. Newer formulations are using nanosized particles of these minerals to minimize the cosmetic impact and while that has raised question of systemic absorption and toxicity, analysis has been unable to demonstrate toxicity so these may be one of the best bets when it comes to UV blockers.

Keep in mind that large amounts of UV exposure do increase the risk of certain skin cancers, especially basal cell and squamous cell carcinomas and therefore protection from the sun is very important. We recommend you do some research and choose sunscreens with the fewest amounts of endocrine disrupting ingredients along with a combination of timing your outdoor activities when the sun is not at its peak and covering exposed skin with light weight cotton materials or hats. For detailed information about specific ingredients and ratings on sunscreens, visit the Environmental Working Groups 2012 Sunscreen Guide.


References:
  1. www.skincancer.org
  2. Chem Res Toxicol. 2005 Feb;18(2):129-38. Cherng SH, Xia Q, Blankenship LR, Freeman JP, Wamer WG, Howard PC, Fu PP. Photodecomposition of retinyl palmitate in ethanol by UVA light-formation of photodecomposition products, reactive oxygen species, and lipid peroxides.
  3. Yin JJ, Xia Q, Fu PP. UVA photoirradiation of anhydroretinol--formation of singlet oxygen and superoxide. Toxicol Ind Health 2007 Nov; 23(10):625-31.
  4. Xia Q, Yin JJ, Wamer WG, Cherng SH, Boudreau MD, Howard PC,Yu H,Fu PP. Photoirradiation of retinyl palmitate in ethanol with ultraviolet light--formation of photodecomposition products, reactive oxygen species, and lipid peroxides. Int J Environ Res Public Health 2006 Jun; 3(2):185-90.
  5. Burnett ME, Wang SQ. Current sunxreen controversies: a critical review. Photodermatol Photoimmunol Photomed. 2011 Apr;27(2):58-67.
  6. Sambandan DR, Ratner D. Sunscreens: an overview and update. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2011 Apr;64(4):748-58
  7. Wong T, Orton D. Sunscreen allergy and its investigation. Clin Dermatol. 2011 May-Jun;29(3):306-10.

2 comments:

  1. I'm short of words to express the goodness of God in my life. I was diagnosed of herpes simplex virus 4 years ago. Which was the worst time in my life. I became worried,distress,felt so rejected,dirty and pity by so many,friends,family and most all my lovely girlfriends. I started keeping in touch with many hospitals,tried many solutions,and consulted many medical practitioners to get ride of my HSV virus,none of the ativiral treatment could cure me .I started trying fruits and herbs, and with time became very interested in herbs for solutions,to get ride of my HSV. I thought my life was gonna end there, i became worried and couldn't sleep at night. On faithful Sunday morning,when the appointed time came for my breakthrough, my lovely girlfriend, crystal who visited me home came up with a good news with her HSV test result negative. I was shocked,but so happy to have seen that. I wouldn't believe if I haven't seen the result and that would have being my worst mistake in life. She told me it was the work of an herbalist in Africa,Dr.Elabe. who prepared the HSV cured and sent it to her through the DHL. I became very interest and went online to search for natural ways for my cure then I saw a testimony of a lady comments on how she was cured from cancer by the same herbalist, then,I quickly email him@
    Dominicelabeherbalhome4all@gmail.com.
    its med.are very active with immune booster with no site effect.contact him for the solution to all your sickness. He cures all viruses and diseases
    Dominicelabeherbalhome4all@gmail.com
    Is a God sent in my life.

    ReplyDelete

  2. I feel so excited today because it's just a year since I got my breakthrough from Herpes.I was diagnosed of HSV1 on the 12/4/2015 and latter i got affected with the HSV2. That was my 2nd outbreak after i lost my ex fiance that got me affected with the virus. I was so scared when he died and what i heard about the Herpes virus as he's deathly and such has no cure. I feel so pity and and a disgrace to my personality,in my career and my family to have been in with the deathly sickness, and that would makes my love ones siblings stay far from me. I was going to my regular church activities when i begin to hear testimonies of how people get cure online, i never gave it a thought till my cousin Stephanie who was affected with HIV told me, Lenny you need not to worry cos i met i man today online , i traditional herbal healer whom two of her friends confirmed he cure them with his herbal herbs that i should give it a try. I saw the interest in her and she did contact the herbal doctor again in my present, luckily for me he picked and show up himself, behold he was at about to attain to some patients that have came back with appreciation of how he cure them from Cancer, HIV, and off much too the herpes he cured an 18 years old daughter.
    I was so happy that day, i wanted to be there but the distance was a barrier to me. I told him how the virus had eaten me up and and a truly believe there's cure for herpes. He told me me with assurance that my case wont be different and he had been curing lots of people With his herbal medicine and most people due contact him from the States and preperd the medicine and made use of the DHL to reach him.
    Honestly speaking Dr. Akpu power his a great and gifted herbalist,His destined to herbs.
    He made me do away with the medical prescription,the acyclovir (Zovirax), famciclovir(Famvir), and valacyclovir (valtrex). you don't know him because you haven't meet this man try and contact him yourself Dr. Akpu in Africa is popularly known in his City,and you can request for his address yourself. I'm so happy now cos,I and my cousin had been confirmed negative till date..the Lord is good in my life. Dr. Akpu sent me his herbal medicine that heal me too, 🙏 🙏 Dr. Akpu for giving me another life.
    Contact Dr.akpu for all kids of sickness@
    Dr.akpupowerherbscenter@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete