Tuesday, July 26, 2016

PCOS: Treatment and Fertilty Support

PCOS: Treatment and Fertility Support

Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) is a complex metabolic imbalance in the communication between the hypothalamus, pituitary, ovaries(HPO Axis), pancreas, adrenals and thyroid. It can present with a varying number of symptoms and labs values.

Symptoms most commonly include:
  • Irregular menstrual cycles
  • Infrequent or lack of ovulation
  • Weight gain
  • Hair loss
  • Acne
  • Hirsutism

Many women may not even know they have PCOS since they present with atypical symptoms or no outward symptoms at all. Lab work will often reveal elevated androgens from the ovaries and adrenals, abnormal FSH:LH ratios, insulin resistance, elevated lipids and blood sugar levels. I often investigate PCOS in relation to fertility optimization in women having trouble getting pregnant. Women with PCOS are also at risk for cardiovascular disease, Type 2 diabetes and uterine cancer.

My experience with PCOS usually begins with women and couples coming to see me because they are having trouble getting pregnant or report “always” having irregular periods. Naturopathic medicine works incredibly well to regulate ovulation, lower androgens eliminating acne and hair changes and balance blood sugar/insulin resistance affecting weight. Diet and exercise changes are essential to this approach but first and foremost I promote hormone balance. Estrogen and Progesterone ratios need to be in balance and testosterone within normal.

My goal as a doctor is to properly evaluate and assess imbalances, atypical or otherwise, and reduce associated risk factors(Cardiovascualr and “Diabesity”), regulate menses and  restore ovulation to support fertility.


Physiology:
The hallmark of PCOS is an elevated LH/FSH ratio. Elevated estrogen(E1) and deficient progesterone secretion is thought by negative feedback to further accentuate the aberrations.

The dysfunction in the HPO axis causes an increase in LH secretion and deficient secretion of FSH by the anterior pituitary. Without a synchronized midcycle surge of FSH and LH triggering normal luteinization of the ovarian follicles, the follicles become cystic and secrete androgens instead of progesterone(p119). This multiple hormone imbalance in PCOS results in acyclic perpetuation of the menstrual cycle dysfunction.

Other hypothesis include a central nervous system deficiency of dopamine causing a hyperprolactinemia and or a hypersecretion of insulin and insulin receptor sites.(119) The cause of PCOS is unknown but may have a genetic component as 50% of women will have a sister or mother with PCOS. A genetic chromosomal mutation can lead to insulin resistance and glucose dysregulation. I believe some main contributors are that we live in a stress driven society keeping us in “fight or flight “ mode upsetting cortisol balance, and we have elevated daily exposure to exogenous androgens, toxins and pesticides.


Labs:
  • FSH/LH
  • DHEA
  • SHBG
  • FAI
  • Free Testosterone
  • Estrogen
  • Progesterone
  • Prolactin
  • Fasting Insulin, Glucose, HemoglobiA1c
  • Thyroid Function Test
  • Adrenal Stress Index
  • Lipid Evaluation
  • Ultrasound
  • Micronutrient Testing

Treatment:
Supplemental Ideas and Lifestyle Support to Consider:
  • Saw Palmetto to reduce conversion of testosterone to the more potent form dihydrotestosterone(DHT).
  • Berberine to manage blood sugar and insulin.
  • NAC to manage total cholesterol, LDLs, lower BMI and hirsutism.
  • Glycyrrhiza to lower testosterone and improve blood sugar and cortisol levels. Not advised with high blood pressure.
  • Calcium/Vit D for menses and blood sugar regulation
  • Myo-Inositol/Chromium for insulin and blood sugar support
  • Green Tea, Nettles, Flax seeds and Soy  can help reduce estrogens and increase SHBG.
  • Vitex know to improve abnormally high E/P ratios and support progesterone
  • B6, Magnesium, EFAs
  • Progesterone
  • Breakfast EVERY DAY
  • Add to DIET: Fennel, Fenugreek , Maitake, Spearmint, Fiber, Legumes, Cinnamon. Mediterranean Type Diet, high protein, low carb. Green Greens Greens! Water half of your body weight in ounces per day. AVOID all sugar, alcohol and coffee caffeine.
  • Good Sleep Hygeine
  • Exercise aerobic 5-6 days a week for 30 minutes minimum and weight training.




Resources:

Powell, Dirk, ND. Endocrinology & Naturopathic Therapies,(p.119),  7th edition, 2005.


PCOS www.PCOS nutrition.com  PCOS Nutrition Center
PCOS COPE website and workbook


Meridian Valley Lab fotos

7 comments:

  1. My boyfriend and I met three years ago on herpes dating site so we discovered we are +ve from the beginning of our relationship, that we both had genital herpes. My first outbreak was the ABSOLUTE worst experience, I was so sick. We suffered for one year plus, had constant outbreaks and then finally we decided to both respectively take Dr Utu African Traditional Herbs as advised by friends. His herb is Not much bitter or sour taste.
    Dosage two times daily every day for four weeks, and honest to goodness it was a miraculous herbs. We were on it for not more than two weeks when we noticed total change. 'couldn't wait for four weeks. It was third week and five days we used the herbs. Then we went for test and was already hsv2 negative, the both of us. Neither of us have had any lesion, outbreak or symptoms till date.
    For traditional and permanent hsv cure, Contact him on drutuherbalcure@gmail.com or direct WhatsApp or phone +2347032718477

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs Daniela Camara.
       I am overwhelm with joy and happiness and i am happy to share this with you all around the world about how Dr.CHUKWU MADU HERBAL HOME cured HERPES VIRUS...ever since i was diagnosed of Herpes virus in 2015, I was always thinking on how  I can get a solution out of my body so that i can be okay again. Until One day I went online on the internet to know more about the Herpes Virus i came across a Review Comment many people are saying that Dr.CHUKWU MADU HERBAL HOME cured their Herpes Genital Virus, I did not believe, i search again and i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from HPV AND HIV by Dr.CHUKWU MADU HERBAL HOME..and i decided to contact Dr CHUKWU MADU HERBAL HOME to Help and i told him about my HERPES illness he told me not to worry about,that he is going to send me his herbal medicine and actually he did.i took the medicine just as prescribe by him, he told me to go for check up in the hospital which i did and to my great surprise my Doctor told me the Herpes Virus was no longer there, all thank to you sir Dr CHUKWU MADU HERBAL HOME, contact his WhatsApp Number: +2347030936239 .His email: dr.chukwumaduherbalhome@gmail.com. His herbs are very powerful and has no side effects. He can cured all kinds of Viruses, diseases, sicknesses.

      Delete
  2. ARE YOU AWARE THAT MODERN NATURAL HERBAL MEDICINES OF THIS GENERATION NOW PERMANENTLY CURE DRUG RESISTANT DISEASES LIKE; HSV/HERPES, CANCERS, HIV/AIDS FOREVER WITHOUT A POSSIBLE COME BACK OR AFTER EFFECTS?
    It wonderfully worked for me;
    At first I was a bit skeptical about this Natural cure for herpes and other similar medicines. Discovering people with similar symptoms who are treated and cured by Dr Utu both on medias and in social medias on daily basis motivated me, so I contacted him for help!
    At first, I was a bit curious about this possible cure, but! I don't want to be left out without giving it a trial, so I contacted him as well.
    Some hours later he replied me, then he asked me some private questions, of which I honestly answered, I told him how I have lived and suffered with this disease and how much I will do anything to get rid of it. He assured me of total cure after taking his herbal medicines. It was even more easier than I expected. Also I never even imagined to get my parcels within five working days, but to my greatest surprise my parcels was brought to my doorstep by the end of the second day. I collected the parcel which I followed all the instructions as he had directed. Just as I was told "four weeks medication " my medicine finished in four weeks exactly. From week one of my medication I started noticing positive change in health. and in week two I could tell much more differences and I was so eager to even testify of life again in me.
    I patiently continue medication till the last bottle which was then week four. I was the first person the next day in the clinic for lab test. Not even a particle of herpes was found in my system when I collected my result. Knowing I'm now herpes negative at this point I proceeded to inform my doctor, he doubted me, that day he gave me a month appointment to be closely monitored. It's my health so I waited more six Months and again i went for 'lab test' in a different clinical lab.
    This time the result was still the same as the previous one. Also since this year I have been living my normal life and am still herpes free no symptoms and even till now no cold sore or outbreak. As a result of this herbal cure in my life and my family at large, I can boast of doctors today who through me, now uses African Traditional Roots and Herbs to TREAT AND CURE patients that are, CANCERS, HERPES, PARALYSIS, and HIV successfully today. Many are still ignorant of this I know.
    Contact Dr Utu directly today on; "drutuherbalcure@gmail.com" to free yourself from emotional stress and become healthy again

    ReplyDelete

  3. Liked the blog very much. Very informative blog about “PCOS: Treatment and Fertility Support “ . Visit Dr. Andal’s hospital which is considered as the Best infertility treatment in Nellore .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been suffering from (HERPES) disease for the last four years and had constant pain, especially in my knees. During the first year, I had faith in God that I would be healed someday.This disease started to circulate all over my body and I have been taking treatment from my doctor, a few weeks ago I came on search on the internet if I could get any information concerning the prevention of this disease, on my search I saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from (Hepatitis B and Cancer) by this Man Dr. Silver and she also gave the email address of this man and advise we should contact him for any sickness that he would be of help, so I wrote to Dr. Silver telling him about my (HERPES Virus) he told me not to worry that I was going to be cured!! hmm i never believed it,, well after all the procedures and remedy given to me by this man few weeks later I started experiencing changes all over me as the Dr. assured me that I have cured, after some time i went to my doctor to confirmed if I have been finally healed behold it was TRUE, So friends my advice is if you have such sickness or any other at all you can email Dr. Silver (drsilverhealingtemple@gmail.com) sir I am indeed grateful for the help I will forever recommend you to my friends!!! with your lovely Email Address ( drsilverhealingtemple@gmail.com or whatsapp him on +2348123877102

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mrs Daniela Camara.
     I am overwhelm with joy and happiness and i am happy to share this with you all around the world about how Dr.CHUKWU MADU HERBAL HOME cured HERPES VIRUS...ever since i was diagnosed of Herpes virus in 2015, I was always thinking on how  I can get a solution out of my body so that i can be okay again. Until One day I went online on the internet to know more about the Herpes Virus i came across a Review Comment many people are saying that Dr.CHUKWU MADU HERBAL HOME cured their Herpes Genital Virus, I did not believe, i search again and i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from HPV AND HIV by Dr.CHUKWU MADU HERBAL HOME..and i decided to contact Dr CHUKWU MADU HERBAL HOME to Help and i told him about my HERPES illness he told me not to worry about,that he is going to send me his herbal medicine and actually he did.i took the medicine just as prescribe by him, he told me to go for check up in the hospital which i did and to my great surprise my Doctor told me the Herpes Virus was no longer there, all thank to you sir Dr CHUKWU MADU HERBAL HOME, contact his WhatsApp Number: +2347030936239 .His email: dr.chukwumaduherbalhome@gmail.com. His herbs are very powerful and has no side effects. He can cured all kinds of Viruses, diseases, sicknesses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing this blog. To get more insights on IVF process, check our page on Best IVF Centre in Punjab.

    ReplyDelete