Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Interstitial Cystitis-Painful Bladder Syndrome

Naturopathic Womens Wellness
1295 Yellow Pine Ave. Boulder CO 80304
P: 303-545-2021  |  F: 303-545-2003 
E: DrMartin@nawellness.com
 |  Dr. Hillary Martin  |  
 
Book Appointments On-Line
Interstitial Cystitis-Painful Bladder Syndrome
By Sarah Kashdan ND 2018 and Dr. Hillary Martin
 
What is it?  
Interstitial cystitis(IC) is a thickening or scarring of the bladder wall which causes loss of bladder capacity.  IC results in frequent urination, urgency, recurring pain or discomfort in the bladder and surrounding pelvic region.

What are the causes?
The exact cause of IC is unknown however there are a multitude of factors that may predispose someone to the condition. Those patients with another diagnosed pain disorder such as irritable bowel syndrome or fibromyalgia may be at greater risk.  Research has also found a possible hereditary correlation.
 
Possible Pathogenesis:
  • Autoimmunity
  • Chemical Irritation
  • Hormonal/Estrogen Dominance
  • Food Allergies increasing mast cell inflammation
  • GAG damage at the epithelium increasing permeability
  • Unidentified urine toxins/dormant microbes causing toxic or immune irritation
  • Migrating flora from vagina tract or rectum
  • Nitric Oxide Deficiency leading to bladder spasm
  • Trauma


Signs and symptoms of IC
The symptoms of IC are non-specific.  Although IC mimics many of the symptoms of a urinary tract infection, these patients do not have bacterial infections.  Patients may experience a variety of the following:
  • Urinary frequency-needing to urinate up to 60 x a day
  • Bladder Pain(worse with a full bladder and better with voiding)
  • Pelvic pain with variable tenderness of the abdomen
  • Non-Specific Pelvic Pain
  • Pain during sexual intercourse
  • Symptoms tend to wax and wane.
  • Urinalysis generally negative.
  • Histamine metabolites can be elevated.
  • Possible triggers from coffee, carbonated beverages, cranberry, tomatoes, alcohol,
            vinegar, chocolate, strawberries, tea


Who is affected?
Over 3 million in the US have been formally diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis.  Some sources say that up to 12 million Americans may have the condition.  Most of these diagnoses are found in Caucasian females age 30 or older.

How is IC diagnosed?
IC is considered a diagnosis of exclusion after all other conditions are ruled out.  According to the National Institute of Health, a patient must have presence of pain related to the bladder, usually accompanied by frequency and urgency of urination as well as the absence of other diseases that could cause the symptoms.  There are no definitive laboratory tests to diagnosis IC however the following can help to rule out other diseases:
  • Urinalysis and culture
  • Biopsy of the bladder wall and urethra
  • General bloodwork
  • Cystoscopy
  • Ultrasound

Conventional Treatment
Because the cause of IC is relatively unknown, treatment is geared towards relief of symptoms. 
  • Elmiron(glycosaminoglycan)Oral- the only FDA approved oral drug for IC. 
  • Bladder instillations- also known as a bladder wash where a solution is introduced via catheter.  Bladder instillations are done with FDA approved DMSO to reduce inflammation.  Often antibiotics and antispasmodic drugs are included.
  • Electrical nerve stimulation- increase blood flow to the bladder, strengthen pelvic muscles that help control the bladder, or trigger the release of substances that block pain
  • Surgery

Naturopathic Treatment
Best results are found with a full naturopathic evaluation addressing the body as a whole, a full review of organ functions and overall assessment if immune function and inflammation.
  • Stress management can play a huge role in symptoms relief
  • Food allergy testing and elimination: avoid acidic foods, wheat, whey, citrus, spicy, artificial sweeteners, caffeine, alcohol, yeast
  • Avoidance of B vitamins
  • Arginine, L-Citrulline to reduce spasm
  • Herbs to soothe the urinary tract, reduce pain, and support the immune system
  • Anti-Histamines: Bromelein and Quercetin
  • Melatonin to reduce inflammation and preserve GAG layer
  • Castor oil packs for relaxation to the smooth muscle wall
  • Homeopathy, Acupuncture, Meditation
  • Kegel exercises, Bowen technique, PT

Other considerations
  • IC can greatly disrupt daily life.  Mental health support should be considered along with medical intervention
  • While there is no known cure for IC, many naturopathic treatments can help alleviate pain and help the patient feel supported both physically and emotionally

 

Have Questions? Lets talk! 
Schedule a free 15 minute consult with NWW

 
Naturopathic Womens Wellness
1295 Yellow Pine Ave. Boulder CO 80304
P: 303-545-2021  |  F: 303-545-2003 


 

4 comments:

  1. Hello everyone, I have been suffering from IC (Interstitial Cystitis) symptoms for 8 months. Never had issues before that, but it came all the sudden and it was HORRIBLE! I was left in absolutely excruciating pain after 4 rounds of antibiotics that I was given to treat the "uti" that I had. I was diagnosed with IC 9 months ago. I've been on the gaps intro diet for a week now. I've been trying to keep my spirits up but I just feel like I'll never feel normal again, because i have being to several hospital for solution but the doctors could not help me, i was discourage and helpless. not until this faithful day, I saw a testimony on how Dr OGBEFUN, helped people in curing Interstitial Cystitis, quickly I copied his Email ID ogbefunhearlingtemple@gmail.com Dr OGBEFUN, herbal medicine is a good remedy for Interstitial Cystitis, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked him for solutions and he started the remedies for my health he gave me some comforting words with his herbal medicine for curing Interstitial Cystitis within 3weeks of it, i feel my normal body again Thank God now everything is fine, I'm cured by Dr OGBEFUN Herbal medicine, I'm very Thankful to Dr, for curing my Interstitial Cystitis..., if you are having a similar problem, kindly contact him today and get your problem solved. Email address,email ogbefunhearlingtemple@gmail.com or add him on whatsapp +2348102574680

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was depressed when doctor told me that I have been diagnosed with HIV/aids & Herpes virus for 4 years now… I thought about my Family, I know my Family will face a serious problem when I'm gone, I lost hope and I wept all day, but one day I was searching the internet I found Dr, CHUKWU MADU HERBAL HOME contact whatsApp number.( +2347030936239 ) I called him and he guided me. I asked him for solutions and he started the remedies for my health. Thank God, now everything is fine, I'm cured by Dr, CHUKWU MADU herbal medicine, I'm very thankful to Dr, CHUKWU MADU HERBAL HOME and very happy with my hubby and family. Email him on (dr.chukwumaduherbalhome@gmail.com)
     or you can also reach him through WhatsApp number (+2347030936239)
    He can also cure so many sickness
    {1}HIV And AIDS
    {2}Diabetes
    {3}Epilepsy
    {4}Blood Cancer
    {5}HPV
    {7}ALS
    {8}Hepatitis
    {9}Ex Back
    {10}Lottery Spell
    {11}Money Spell.
    His herbs are very powerful and it has no side effect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was depressed when doctor told me that I have been diagnosed with HIV/aids & Herpes virus for 4 years now… I thought about my Family, I know my Family will face a serious problem when I'm gone, I lost hope and I wept all day, but one day I was searching the internet I found Dr, CHUKWU MADU HERBAL HOME contact whatsApp number.( +2347030936239 ) I called him and he guided me. I asked him for solutions and he started the remedies for my health. Thank God, now everything is fine, I'm cured by Dr, CHUKWU MADU herbal medicine, I'm very thankful to Dr, CHUKWU MADU HERBAL HOME and very happy with my hubby and family. Email him on (dr.chukwumaduherbalhome@gmail.com)
     or you can also reach him through WhatsApp number (+2347030936239)
    He can also cure so many sickness
    {1}HIV And AIDS
    {2}Diabetes
    {3}Epilepsy
    {4}Blood Cancer
    {5}HPV
    {7}ALS
    {8}Hepatitis
    {9}Ex Back
    {10}Lottery Spell
    {11}Money Spell.
    His herbs are very powerful and it has no side effect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mrs Daniela Camara.
     I am overwhelm with joy and happiness and i am happy to share this with you all around the world about how Dr.CHUKWU MADU HERBAL HOME cured HERPES VIRUS...ever since i was diagnosed of Herpes virus in 2015, I was always thinking on how  I can get a solution out of my body so that i can be okay again. Until One day I went online on the internet to know more about the Herpes Virus i came across a Review Comment many people are saying that Dr.CHUKWU MADU HERBAL HOME cured their Herpes Genital Virus, I did not believe, i search again and i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from HPV AND HIV by Dr.CHUKWU MADU HERBAL HOME..and i decided to contact Dr CHUKWU MADU HERBAL HOME to Help and i told him about my HERPES illness he told me not to worry about,that he is going to send me his herbal medicine and actually he did.i took the medicine just as prescribe by him, he told me to go for check up in the hospital which i did and to my great surprise my Doctor told me the Herpes Virus was no longer there, all thank to you sir Dr CHUKWU MADU HERBAL HOME, contact his WhatsApp Number: +2347030936239 .His email: dr.chukwumaduherbalhome@gmail.com. His herbs are very powerful and has no side effects. He can cured all kinds of Viruses, diseases, sicknesses.

    ReplyDelete