Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Back to School Health Tips

The days are getting shorter, the fall equinox is just around the corner and kids all over the bay area are headed back to school.   Here are some tips to ensure the transition back into the school year goes well!

Get Adequate Sleep
Summertime sleep patterns can be luxurious and hard to break.  Ensure that your children start heading to bed earlier so they can get adequate sleep before the school day.   To determine the appropriate bedtime, consider the when your child needs to wake up and the amount of sleep they need for their age:
Age 5-12: 10-12 hours per day
Age 13-18: 8-9 hours per day.
Getting adequate sleep will ensure that your child performs to his or her full potential, athletically, intellectually and socially.

Eat a Well Balanced Diet
Kids should eat three well-balanced meals per day and have a couple of nutritious snacks in between.  Meals should include protein, whole grains and fruits and vegetables.  Eating plenty of fruits and vegetables ensure that kids are getting all the nutrients they need for optimal brain function.

Skip the sugar.  Meals and snacks with high sugar content can disrupt concentration.  Sugar also feeds bacteria and viruses while dampening the immune system, making your child more vulnerable to getting sick.

Breakfast really is the most important meal of the day!   Make sure that there is plenty of protein at this meal; this will ensure they have adequate blood sugar to get them through the school day.  Adequate blood sugar levels help improve concentration, focus and energy.  

Move Your Body
Regular activity and exercise help keep kids healthy.  Exercise releases endorphins that help kids feel good in their bodies.  Regular exercise also stimulates circulation throughout the body and brain, which improves memory and intellectual performance.  Exercise will also help enhance immune function to ward of viruses and bacteria.  Children mimic their parents, so be a good role model and exercise with your children.  Go out for walks or bike rides, and spend some family time being active together.

Limit Screen Time
Spending time in front of screens kills creativity and encourages sedentary behavior.  Excessive screen time can also lead to inattention and focus problems.  Children should spend no more than 1 hour in front of a screen per day.  This includes: TV, smart phones, Ipads, computers, and video games.


Save Their Backs
Many children carry way too much in their backpacks.  An increasing number of children are showing up in emergency rooms with back pain.  Make sure your child has a backpack that is an appropriate size for them with two padded shoulder straps and a hip belt so that weight is evenly distributed.  Use all of the compartments to organize the contents of the backpack and pack the heaviest items closest to the center of the back.  Children should carry no more than 15-20% of their body weight.

Support Good Study Habits

Work out a schedule that allows ample time to complete assignments and includes study breaks.  Put up a wall calendar that lists assignments and has checklists that help children stay on top of their workload.  Create an environment that is conducive to doing homework by giving them a workspace that is free of distractions.  Establish a rule that TVs and telephones stay off during homework time.  Supervise computer and Internet use so that time is focused on completing assignments and not distracted by Facebook or YouTube.  Be available to answer questions and offer assistance but do not do the work for them.


Naturopathic Womens Wellness
1295 Yellow Pine Ave. Boulder CO 80304
P: 303-545-2021  |  F: 303-545-2003
 |  Dr. Hillary Roland |  

3 comments:

  1. My boyfriend and I met three years ago on herpes dating site so we discovered we are +ve from the beginning of our relationship, that we both had genital herpes. My first outbreak was the ABSOLUTE worst experience, I was so sick. We suffered for one year plus, had constant outbreaks and then finally we decided to both respectively take Dr Utu African Traditional Herbs as advised by friends. His herb is Not much bitter or sour taste.
    Dosage two times daily every day for four weeks, and honest to goodness it was a miraculous herbs. We were on it for not more than two weeks when we noticed total change. 'couldn't wait for four weeks. It was third week and five days we used the herbs. Then we went for test and was already hsv2 negative, the both of us. Neither of us have had any lesion, outbreak or symptoms till date.
    For traditional and permanent hsv cure, Contact him on drutuherbalcure@gmail.com or direct WhatsApp or phone +2347032718477

    ReplyDelete
  2. ARE YOU AWARE THAT MODERN NATURAL HERBAL MEDICINES OF THIS GENERATION NOW PERMANENTLY CURE DRUG RESISTANT DISEASES LIKE; HSV/HERPES, CANCERS, HIV/AIDS FOREVER WITHOUT A POSSIBLE COME BACK OR AFTER EFFECTS?
    It wonderfully worked for me;
    At first I was a bit skeptical about this Natural cure for herpes and other similar medicines. Discovering people with similar symptoms who are treated and cured by Dr Utu both on medias and in social medias on daily basis motivated me, so I contacted him for help!
    At first, I was a bit curious about this possible cure, but! I don't want to be left out without giving it a trial, so I contacted him as well.
    Some hours later he replied me, then he asked me some private questions, of which I honestly answered, I told him how I have lived and suffered with this disease and how much I will do anything to get rid of it. He assured me of total cure after taking his herbal medicines. It was even more easier than I expected. Also I never even imagined to get my parcels within five working days, but to my greatest surprise my parcels was brought to my doorstep by the end of the second day. I collected the parcel which I followed all the instructions as he had directed. Just as I was told "four weeks medication " my medicine finished in four weeks exactly. From week one of my medication I started noticing positive change in health. and in week two I could tell much more differences and I was so eager to even testify of life again in me.
    I patiently continue medication till the last bottle which was then week four. I was the first person the next day in the clinic for lab test. Not even a particle of herpes was found in my system when I collected my result. Knowing I'm now herpes negative at this point I proceeded to inform my doctor, he doubted me, that day he gave me a month appointment to be closely monitored. It's my health so I waited more six Months and again i went for 'lab test' in a different clinical lab.
    This time the result was still the same as the previous one. Also since this year I have been living my normal life and am still herpes free no symptoms and even till now no cold sore or outbreak. As a result of this herbal cure in my life and my family at large, I can boast of doctors today who through me, now uses African Traditional Roots and Herbs to TREAT AND CURE patients that are, CANCERS, HERPES, PARALYSIS, and HIV successfully today. Many are still ignorant of this I know.
    Contact Dr Utu directly today on; "drutuherbalcure@gmail.com" to free yourself from emotional stress and become healthy again

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mrs Daniela Camara.
     I am overwhelm with joy and happiness and i am happy to share this with you all around the world about how Dr.CHUKWU MADU HERBAL HOME cured HERPES VIRUS...ever since i was diagnosed of Herpes virus in 2015, I was always thinking on how  I can get a solution out of my body so that i can be okay again. Until One day I went online on the internet to know more about the Herpes Virus i came across a Review Comment many people are saying that Dr.CHUKWU MADU HERBAL HOME cured their Herpes Genital Virus, I did not believe, i search again and i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from HPV AND HIV by Dr.CHUKWU MADU HERBAL HOME..and i decided to contact Dr CHUKWU MADU HERBAL HOME to Help and i told him about my HERPES illness he told me not to worry about,that he is going to send me his herbal medicine and actually he did.i took the medicine just as prescribe by him, he told me to go for check up in the hospital which i did and to my great surprise my Doctor told me the Herpes Virus was no longer there, all thank to you sir Dr CHUKWU MADU HERBAL HOME, contact his WhatsApp Number: +2347030936239 .His email: dr.chukwumaduherbalhome@gmail.com. His herbs are very powerful and has no side effects. He can cured all kinds of Viruses, diseases, sicknesses.

    ReplyDelete