Tuesday, September 13, 2016

HAND-FOOT-AND-MOUTH DISEASE

This disease is caused by the Coxsackievirus. These viruses are usually transmitted via the oral-oral or fecal-oral route and are highly contagious.

The symptoms include ulcerative oral lesions and extremely painful cutaneous lesions on the hands and feet.  Occasionally these lesions are asymptomatic. The child will often refuse to eat because of the pain in the mouth. The rash may persist for months but, generally, there are others in the family or daycare with similar symptoms.  Parents usually only exhibit the rash on their hands.

A prodrome is present with this condition and usually occurs 12 hours to one day prior to the rash.  Symptoms include: low grade fever, malaise, abdominal pain, respiratory symptoms and sore throat.  The condition would need to be differentiated from Herpes simplex, Aphthous stomatitis, Herpangina and Erythema multiforme major, but its classic pattern generally aids in the final diagnosis.

In managing this disease, it is best to start viral, immune and pain support as soon as possible Herbs that may be useful are:  Glycyrrhiza glabra, Melissa officinalis, Echinacea angustifolia, Usnea, Astragalus membraneou and, Allium sativa (Garlic)Start immune supporting vitamins such as: Vitamin C, Zinc and Bioflavonoids.  For the pain, herbal popsicles can be given to sooth mouth blisters, with chamomile, licorice and melissa. Herbal foot/hand soaks to dry up blisters and heal skin will also be beneficial. Topical dyclonine HCl or lidocaine gel could be considered to help reduce oral discomfort so that the child can eat.
  • Stay HYDRATED.
  • Do not give children asprin.
  • Infectious until blisters are gone.  Limit contact with others.  Children should be excused from school until blisters are dry.
  • Good hygiene is the best protection: wash hands with soap and water after going to the toilet, before eating, after wiping noses, and after changing nappies or soiled clothing.
  • Avoid Sugars

Care should be taken in exposure to pregnant mothers because infection in first trimester of pregnancy may trigger a spontaneous abortion.

 
Naturopathic Womens Wellness
1295 Yellow Pine Ave. Boulder CO 80304
P: 303-545-2021  |  F: 303-545-2003
 |  Dr. Hillary Martin |  
 


References

  1. Moses, S., MD. Hand Foot and Mouth Disease. Family Practice Notebook. Retrieved 5/2/04 from the World Wide Web: http://fpnotebook.com.
  2. Roberts, S.M., ND. Naturopathic Pediatric Essentials. Wenatchee, WA. Healing Mountain Publishing, Inc.
  3. Toida M, Watanabe F, Goto K, Shibata T. Usefulness of low-level laser for control of painful stomatitis in patients with hand-foot-and-mouth disease. J Clin Laser Med Surg. 2003 Dec;21(6):363-7.
  4. Frydenberg A, Starr M. Hand, foot and mouth disease. Aust Fam Physician. 2003 Aug;32(8):594-5.

5 comments:

  1. My boyfriend and I met three years ago on herpes dating site so we discovered we are +ve from the beginning of our relationship, that we both had genital herpes. My first outbreak was the ABSOLUTE worst experience, I was so sick. We suffered for one year plus, had constant outbreaks and then finally we decided to both respectively take Dr Utu African Traditional Herbs as advised by friends. His herb is Not much bitter or sour taste.
    Dosage two times daily every day for four weeks, and honest to goodness it was a miraculous herbs. We were on it for not more than two weeks when we noticed total change. 'couldn't wait for four weeks. It was third week and five days we used the herbs. Then we went for test and was already hsv2 negative, the both of us. Neither of us have had any lesion, outbreak or symptoms till date.
    For traditional and permanent hsv cure, Contact him on drutuherbalcure@gmail.com or direct WhatsApp or phone +2347032718477

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, to everyone that comes across this testimony, most times in life when we face some challenges, it seems like it's the end of one's life, I'm here to share my experience on how I got cured of Herpes through the help of Dr. Shaibu who uses his roots and herbs to cure my Herpes. It all started in 2015 and since then i have used different types of medication and treatment still no cure, not until I met Dr. Shaibu Abacha online he assured me that if I use his herbal medicine that I will be free from herpes, at foremost I didn't believe him because of fake herbal doctors online, after few days I contacted him again and ordered for the herbal medicine, I used it as prescribed morning and evening for 18days,  I noticed i wasn't feeling the way i use to feel before, then i went for test and behold there was no trace of herpes again in my system. Today am healthy and strong once again all thanks to you Dr. Shaibu may you live long to continue the good work you started, as many of you out there looking for a solution to your problems I will like you to give it a try today and  I believe a trial will convince you. Add him on WhatsApp /call +2347017709481
      Email: drshaibuabacha@gmail.com.You can also contact him for several other diseases and sicknesses like;   STROKE........KIDNEY FAILURE........DIABETES......HEART DISEASE......LOW SPERM COUNT......WEAK ERECTION.....INFERTILITY.....EX BACK......PENIS ENLARGEMENT.......GONORRHEA......SYPHILIS.....

      Delete
  2. My joy has no limits, I never thought that one day I would live on earth cured of this virus. I have suffered from this deadly "HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS" virus for 5 years. I spent a lot of money on drugs and going from one hospital to another, the hospital was my most visited place where constant monitoring was my hobby not until one day I decided to share my situation with a very close friend of mine and she was very upset with me for not telling her since she knew about a doctor called Dr Sani who helps people cure their HERPES. quickly I contacted his email: perfectherbalcure@gmail.com which was given to me by Carolyn, just to give him a test, I spoke to him, he asked me to do some things that I did, he told me he was going to prepare me and send me a herbal cure which he did and afterwards I received it and after using the herbal cure within 2 weeks and days I was totally healed, had to go back to the same hospital that I went to before. confirm my recovery and here is my doctor confirmed me negative, so today I am here to spread the good news of my life about how Dr Sani saved me from the nightmare and the HERPES VIRUS outbreaks. You can contact him by email: perfectherbalcure@gmail.com or Whats-app: 2348118184266. If you are still suffering from this deadly virus ... I believe you are going to be happy and feel alive again as I am in this moment.
    Email: perfectherbalcure@gmail.com
    Whats-app: 2348118184266

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, to everyone that comes across this testimony, most times in life when we face some challenges, it seems like it's the end of one's life, I'm here to share my experience on how I got cured of Herpes through the help of Dr. Shaibu who uses his roots and herbs to cure my Herpes. It all started in 2015 and since then i have used different types of medication and treatment still no cure, not until I met Dr. Shaibu Abacha online he assured me that if I use his herbal medicine that I will be free from herpes, at foremost I didn't believe him because of fake herbal doctors online, after few days I contacted him again and ordered for the herbal medicine, I used it as prescribed morning and evening for 18days,  I noticed i wasn't feeling the way i use to feel before, then i went for test and behold there was no trace of herpes again in my system. Today am healthy and strong once again all thanks to you Dr. Shaibu may you live long to continue the good work you started, as many of you out there looking for a solution to your problems I will like you to give it a try today and  I believe a trial will convince you. Add him on WhatsApp /call +2347017709481
    Email: drshaibuabacha@gmail.com.You can also contact him for several other diseases and sicknesses like;   STROKE........KIDNEY FAILURE........DIABETES......HEART DISEASE......LOW SPERM COUNT......WEAK ERECTION.....INFERTILITY.....EX BACK......PENIS ENLARGEMENT.......GONORRHEA......SYPHILIS.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to share a testimony, how i was cured from Herpes by DR AGUGU with his herbal remedy. I don't know where to start, I'm 33 years old and i was diagnoses of genital herpes diseases for 5 years. i lost all hope in life but on like any other i still searched for a cure even on the internet and i saw a comment were a lady testify how she was cured by Dr AGUGU i could not believe it at first, i contacted him, He sent me his herbal remedy i used it for 2 weeks and the Herpes virus was cured completely. I went for medical check and the result was negative from Herpes.
    For those who have the same problem, or any STD should contact Dr AGUGU via email: agugusolutionhome@gmail.com you can also call or WhatsApp +2349123794867

    ReplyDelete